Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The Best Whole Grain Banana Muffins

The other night after dinner was cleaned up I decided that I really needed muffins.  I had some brown bananas on the counter, homemade applesauce from Sunday, a bit of yogurt that needed to be used up, and freshly ground flour, so I went in search of a recipe.  These were the perfect solution.  I really love the other banana muffins on this blog, but I made these a few nights ago and fell in love.  These ones are a little heartier yet still moist and have chocolate!  The original recipe doesn't have any butter in it, but what is life without butter?  I'm pretty sure butter is my favorite food group, so be proud of me for only adding a touch of butter.



2 over ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I strongly recommend white wheat, not to be confused with white flour, explained more in this post)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tim.

2. Mash/ mix together bananas, brown sugar, yogurt, egg, applesauce, and vanilla.

3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, including chocolate chips.  If you are using store bought flour, be careful to measure the flour with a light hand.  Freshly ground wheat is much lighter than store bought wheat flour.

4. Lightly fold dry ingredients into banana mixture.  When there are still dry streaks, add melted butter and stir until just combined.  There should still be a few lumps.

5. Spoon the batter into muffin cups.  Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

6. Remove the muffins from tin, and allow to cool.  Enjoy!

Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

1 comment: