Pages

Monday, March 9, 2015

Easy Focaccia Bread

It's no secret that I love bread and homemade bread is my absolute favorite.  But as a busy working lady I don't have much time to make bread since it has to rise for so long - that is, unless we want bread at 10:30 pm.

Enter my new favorite way to make bread.  The ridiculously easy, no-knead crusty bread recipe from Simply So Good.  You mix together flour, salt, yeast and water in about two minutes and then let it rise overnight.  I let it rise all night and all day and then cook it with dinner.  It is so easy.  You don't even need to take out your Kitchen Aid.  Also, it seems impossible to mess this up.  If you are afraid of yeast, this is a good place to start.

Another awesome thing is that this dough is incredibly versatile.  I've made it into artisan bread, pizza dough and now focaccia.  Each way has been incredible.  This focaccia is amazing because it doesn't have to rise again so it's a quicker bread option.  Also, who doesn't love bread topped with cheese and spices?


Easy Focaccia Bread
Makes 1, 8 x 8-inch focaccia.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water

1/4 cup olive oil

For the topping:
Seasoning Salt
Rosemary
Basil
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Shaved Parmesan Cheese
(Anything your heart desires)


In a large mixing bowl combine flour, yeast and salt.  Stir in water.  Mix until all the ingredients are combined.  Do not over mix.  Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 12 - 24 hours.  (I usually mix mine together right before I go to bed and let it sit until dinner time.  If it sits a little bit longer though it is nothing dire.)

When ready to bake, heat oven to 450 degrees.  Cover the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch square pan with olive oil. (I've had problems with it sticking in some pans, so now I always line the bottom with a square of parchment paper and then pour the olive oil on top.)

Scrape dough out of the bowl (it will be very sticky) directly into the prepared pan.  Press the dough lightly to spread out.  Don't overwork or squish it.  You want the air pockets.  Just gently press your fingertips all over it to spread it and dimple it.  I dip my fingers into the olive oil on the bottom so they don't stick.

The toppings is where you can get creative.  I placed Parmesan shavings on and then lightly sprinkled on seasoning salt, rosemary, basil, oregano and garlic powder.  You can do any combination you would like.

Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden.

It will be crispy when it first comes out of the oven. If you prefer a softer bottom, I recommend covering it with tinfoil again and letting it sit for a few hours. It tastes delicious either way!

Adapted from Simply So Good

2 comments:

  1. You'll be amazed to know that I Googled focaccia recipes and your post was on the first page! I'm excited to make this- thanks for sharing,
    your mother-in-law (xoxoxo)

    ReplyDelete