Pages

Monday, March 16, 2015

Homemade Taco Seasoning

Saturday I made up a batch of homemade taco seasoning.  Have you ever read the ingredient list on the back of one of those taco seasoning packets?  I really try to avoid artificial ingredients and store bought taco seasoning is full of them!  This is also so much cheaper than the store bought version.  I made a half batch to test it on Saturday, and it tasted a lot better than the store bought taco seasoning.

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch

1. Mix all ingredients together and store in a jar.  Since this doesn't have all the fillers that are in the store bought taco seasonings I usually use about 1 heaping tablespoons to replace one of those taco seasoning packets.

I recommend storing this in a glass jar, and not just because I love mason jars (which I do), but rather because if this is stored in plastic, the plastic will absorb the flavors and mingle with any items nearby.

Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

1 comment: