Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Salsa Verde

I spent three months living down in Mexico about a year and a half ago.  I loved it and I count it as one of the best experiences of my life.  We frequented this taqueria close by and the tacos were incredible!  They had this green salsa that was good enough to drink, but I didn't have access to it back here in the states.  My friend Nadia told me how she makes hers, so I have adapted it a bit to the point I think it is pretty close!



10 tomatillos (I used medium to large ones, if you have small ones, throw in a few more)
1 jalapeno, diced (I leave the seeds in)
1/4 of an onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 of a bunch of cilantro, ends trimmed and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 large avocado

1. Remove the husks from the tomatillos and wash them well to remove any dirt.  Quarter them and put the tomatillos and jalapeno in a pot with about an inch or two of water.  Cover with a lid and cook until tomatillos are soft, stirring every couple minutes and adding more water if needed.

2. Pulse the onion, garlic, and cilantro in the blender until it is minced.

3. Pour the contents of the pot, including the water into a blender.  Add salt, cumin, lime juice, and avocado.  Pulse a few times and add additional salt, if desired to taste. Sometimes at this point I decide I want it hotter, so I will dice up another 1/2-1 jalapeno and blend it again.

Just for old times sake- here we are at El Habenero eating incredible tacos!


And this was how they made those wonderful tacos al pastor, with the pineapple on top!  My mouth is watering.


No comments:

Post a Comment